Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Prop Shaft Brake Pads

Thomas,

The shaft brake stops the shaft disk when transmission pressure is zero, and opens as soon as the engine starts and transmission pressure increases.

The hydraulic ram adjustment exists to have the proper pad  clearance when the unit is pressurized. Adjusting the hydraulic ram IN will open that clearance and can reduce the mechanical squeezing pressure of the pads against the disk. The pads are mechanically squeezed to the disk with a spring. My guess is that you need the spring.

Sometimes an AutoProp, in need of service and not feathering correctly, will cause pad slippage....and slippage will wear out the pads.

Best,

CW Bill Rouse
Admiral, Texas Navy
Commander Emeritus
Amel School www.amelschool.com
720 Winnie St
Galveston Island, TX 77550
+1(832) 380-4970

On Sun, May 20, 2018, 13:38 thomas.kleman <no_reply@...> wrote:

I own SM2K #422 (L'ORIENT). On the way from Grenada to Bonaire, I heard.....then noticed.... that my prop shaft brake was no longer holding the prop shaft. I was going faster than normal......8+ knots straight down wind with the Genoa and Balooner set.  I'm hoping this hasn't been going on a long time, but I think I would have noticed. Anyway, I cranked down the adjustment screw all the way in (it had been all the way out prior to this adjustment). I can still turn the prop by hand when the engine is off. I tested the brake cylinder and pin by turning on and off the engine and noting the position of the pin and clamps.......the pin comes out of the cylinder when the engine is off, and retracts when the engine is on. It doesn't seem to be leaking. I'm assuming I need brake pads.........I obviously can't tell how thick they should be because I don't have a new set to compare it to. Any thoughts ? I'm assuming this is an Amel source d item.

Tom and Kirstin

SV L'ORIENT

Bonaire