[Amel Yacht Owners] Re: Main sail furling gear box

amelliahona <no_reply@...>

Sorry Eric.

Let me try again. Please see the photo labeled Outhaul Drive Shaft #2 in the SM Outhaul
Service Folder in the photos section. The shaft is shown in the removed condition. When
assembled, the shaft is down thru the center of the gear assembly. Now imagine that you
are trying to PUSH the shaft out of the gear assembly. If you place the fingers of both your
hands on the top cover of the gear assembly (equivalent to the fingers of the puller) and
use both your thumbs to push the shaft out of the gear assembly (equivalent to the
threaded screw of the puller) you have an idea of what is accomplished. Because the
horizontal reach of the puller fingers couldn't reach past the edges of the mounting
bracket to engage the top of the gearbox cover, a piece of metal was placed across the top
of the gearbox cover which bore on the cover while the fingers engaged the cross piece.
I wish I had a picture because a picture would be worth a million words.
Let me know how we are doing in this explanation.

Gary

the the top of the . your --- In amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com, eric
<kimberlite@...> wrote:

Gary,