Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Re: Deck hatches

karkauai

Thanks Dan, I was going to try something like that and see if I can work through a small access hole.  The hole saw is a good idea, not much repair work replacing the hole that was cut out.
Kent

Kent Robertson
S/V Kristy
USA cell: 828-234-6819

On May 22, 2018, at 3:34 PM, Dwentworth dwentworth@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Hi Kent,

You might consider locating the nuts precisely and using a hole saw with the centering drill bit removed. This gives you access and leaves far less of a repair.

Best,

Dan

-------- Original message --------
From: "karkauai@... [amelyachtowners]" <amelyachtowners@...>
Date: 5/22/18 13:48 (GMT-05:00)
Subject: [Amel Yacht Owners] Re: Deck hatches

Here’s what I discovered, thanks to Brent’s tickling my thoughts. I thought that the bolts weren’t long enough to go through the base built into the cabin top.

The base that is built into the cabin top is apparently not solid. I removed the wood trim under the hatch, peeled back the headliner, and found what appears to be a ceiling made of particle board. There are no through bolts showing underneath.

Now it looks as though I’ll have to remove the headliner and particle board ceiling to access the nuts on the bottom of the bolts.

Ugh! Please tell me there’s an easier way!

Kent
SM 243
Kristy
St Michaels, ND

Join main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.