From: amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com
[mailto:amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of amelliahona
Sent: Saturday, July 19, 2008 12:53 AM
To: amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [Amel Yacht Owners] Re: Main sail furling gear box

Sorry Eric.

Let me try again. Please see the photo labeled Outhaul Drive Shaft #2 in the
SM Outhaul
Service Folder in the photos section. The shaft is shown in the removed
condition. When
assembled, the shaft is down thru the center of the gear assembly. Now
imagine that you
are trying to PUSH the shaft out of the gear assembly. If you place the
fingers of both your
hands on the top cover of the gear assembly (equivalent to the fingers of
the puller) and
use both your thumbs to push the shaft out of the gear assembly (equivalent
to the
threaded screw of the puller) you have an idea of what is accomplished.
Because the
horizontal reach of the puller fingers couldn't reach past the edges of the
mounting
bracket to engage the top of the gearbox cover, a piece of metal was placed
across the top
of the gearbox cover which bore on the cover while the fingers engaged the
cross piece.
I wish I had a picture because a picture would be worth a million words.
Let me know how we are doing in this explanation.

Gary

the the top of the . your --- In amelyachtowners@
<mailto:amelyachtowners%40yahoogroups.com> yahoogroups.com, eric
<kimberlite@...> wrote:

Gary,

Sorry I don't quite get it.

Eric