Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Slowing down in increasing winds

Dan Carlson

That sounds like a good idea.

One build on that recco however, you either want to have removed the winch handle or make sure the area is well clear, as the winch will spin very fast as the traveller moves across.

Dan and Lori Carlson, sv BeBe, SM#387

On Tue, May 29, 2018 at 7:55 AM, Ian parkianj@... [amelyachtowners]

One minor point if you haven’t come across it.
If your main sheet traveller is across when running (I assume we all do that) - if you know you are about to crash gybe, just lift the button on the Anderson winch traveller and put it across to the other side. The boom will take the car with it, but it slows the gybe as the ropes, pulleys and winch partially absorb the shock, and puts less strain on the whole system.

Ian

Ocean Hobo SN 96 (Antigua)