Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Re: Slowing down in increasing winds

Ian Park

Wow
I didn’t intend to open a big discussion like that. I always gybe the usual way like Danny describes. But I did leave the knob across once and there was an accidental gybe. There was no impact shock load as the whole car system slowed the final arrest of the boom, so no sudden full load on the traveller or boom attachments.
Just for the record I wasn’t advocating this as a method of gybing. The main sheet is so easy to pull in by hand on the winch that control is simple.
In my early days of ownership the mainsheet did catch the midships centre knob a couple of times (sometimes the mainsheet gets jammed against its own top pulley leaving one strand hanging loose). Since then I removed that knob and only use the outer one to hold the window down. Never had a problem since, nor any leaks.

Happy gybing everyone
Off back to UK tomorrow from. Antigua and it looks like there might be some long downwind days............

Ian
Ocean Hobo SN96