Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Repower questions

ianjenkins1946 <ianjudyjenkins@hotmail.com>

Hi Bill,

I can answer all your questions in about two weeks time.  I am now 71 ( Judy is of course much younger) and hope to have at least ten more years afloat. You will have seen from past posts that we had an unhappy experience at the hands of the Volvo agent in Hyeres, leaving us with a large bill and an unhappy engine. We could persevere with our TMD but we want to go sailing rather than spending  time in marinas and money on mechanics so we have taken the plunge and as I write a new Volvo D2-75 is being installed in Piraeus by a guy whom I trust. He was originally trained by the Englishman who designed the TMD and when Volvo acquired the selling rights from Perkins he was sent to Sweden to show them how it worked.

He was shocked by the work and cost carried out in Hyeres and encouraged me to complain to Volvo central from whom I hope to get some satisfaction.

The new engine is marginally smaller in size but with a 2.2 litre capacity ( 2 litre for the TMD) and 75hp at lower revs so NO SMOKE ! ( I am promised !). The exhaust is on the starboard side but the filters, to port , are more accessible. Rather than a marinised car engine ( TMD) it was built as a marine engine. Meets EU pollution regs.

It does have a turbo, alas, but not the electronics that its bigger sister has, so you don't have to reach for a computer to fix it.  It comes with a choice of three gearboxes--I think the straight shaft exit one has been chosen.  The guy checked with Autoprop in the UK who  confirmed that it's a match. He has worked on Amels and I think he will do a good job.

The engine comes with a standard instrument panel which is probably adequate, but as I like to have instruments showing engine temperature and 12v output I may fit the de luxe panel which has both of those plus oil pressure at an extra 300 euros or so. The total costs will be approaching 20,000 Euros.

It should do the trick. We will know in a couple of weeks time.

Ian and Judy, Pen Azen, SM 302 Piraeus

From: amelyachtowners@... on behalf of greatketch@... [amelyachtowners]
Sent: 01 June 2018 15:57:26
To: amelyachtowners@...
Subject: [Amel Yacht Owners] Repower questions

A few questions for those of you who have repowered a Super Maramu—especially those who swapped out a Volvo TMD22.

What new engine did you use?
Did you use the same Hurth 250 transmission?
Are you happy with the new installation?
Where there any serious issues or complications?
Approximate cost?

Bill Kinney
SM160, Harmonie
Central Chesapeake Bay, USA

------------------------------------
Posted by: greatketch@...

Yahoo Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/amelyachtowners/
groups.yahoo.com
/

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/amelyachtowners/join
    (Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
    amelyachtowners-digest@...
    amelyachtowners-fullfeatured@...

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
    amelyachtowners-unsubscribe@...

<*> Your use of Yahoo Groups is subject to:
    https://info.yahoo.com/legal/us/yahoo/utos/terms/

Join main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.