Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Heat Exchanger [1 Attachment]

John Clark

Hi Pat,
  check the service manual attached below.  It has a blowup diagram of the cooling system for the various versions of the Volvo "####22#".

 My understanding is that the "22" is based on the Perkins 4-108.

My 1990 SM was repowered in 2002 with a Volvo TAMD22a and other than the water hoses, the heat exchanger housing is all metal.

If you have eliminated the usual suspects: impeller, sea strainer, leaky hoses and check valves then perhaps the end caps, if they are not standard, could be the culprit.  It certainly sounds wrong that the silicone covers water passages, and that a rubber boot separates coolant and sea water.

Can you send a photo?

                                Regards,  John

---In amelyachtowners@..., <sailw32@...> wrote :

John, I have no Orings , the rubber end caps have two different diameters ,the larger dia. clamps around the H/E housing and the smaller dia. part clamps around the insert. May be that I am missing parts and this is what the previous owner came up with. I have been looking online for a blown up diagram. Is the TMD22A a Perkins 4-108 ? I can find new end boots for it . The temperature increases with the rpm , at 2500 it got up to 215F, slow down and it decreases to 190 or so.
Thanks,
Pat
SM#123