Re: Repower questions

greatketch@...

Dave,

Thanks for the reference. I have looked at--and dismissed--the Beta Marine engine. It is a good engine, and I know the West Coast distributer from my days in SF. As you say they are good guys.

The problem is that their 75HP engine is not turbocharged.  That in and of itself really appeals, for lots of reasons. BUT.... that means the engine weighs 400 or 500 pounds more that the turbo equivalents.

That is just much more dead weight than I will consider adding to the boat. I'll live with the added complexity and maintenance of the turbo for a half inch of waterline sink!

I am in no rush, and this is not something that will happen quickly.  Lots of research yet to do. If I had to do it today, I would use a Volvo D2.  But, fortunately, I don't have to.  Just want to have all the pieces in place so I can move quickly if I end up needing to.

Bill Kinney
SM160, Harmonie
Annapolis, MD, USA

---In amelyachtowners@..., <dave_benjamin@...> wrote :

Bill,
One of our west coast Amel sail clients repowered with a Beta Marine. He also considered a Yanmar. Beta was a much easier retrofit than the Yanmar would have been according to what he told me. And the staff at the Beta distributor was quite helpful. If you want to speak with him directly I can ask him if he is okay with me sharing his email address.