Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] water squirting from engine vented loop

Ryan Meador

Thank you.  I have noted the whistle, but didn't know what caused it.  I wonder if the previous owner told me about the water squirting when I bought the boat and I forgot over the winter.  There's no way I wouldn't have noticed last year.  I still haven't gotten off the dock this spring, and the weather this week looks like next weekend will be the first chance...

Thanks,
Ryan and Kelly
SM 233 Iteration
Boston, MA, USA

On Mon, Jun 4, 2018 at 8:12 AM, 'Mark Erdos' mcerdos@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Ryan and Kelly,

This is perfectly normal. The sound should make you happy as it means sea-water is flowing through the engine and out the exhaust. The vented loop is mounted with a hollow bolt and no valve. Some systems opt to install a valve but it is just another thing that can go wrong. Simple is best.

As an FYI, this bolt will also whistle. It you are at a calm anchorage and the boat rocks a little, air can be forced back up the exhaust at the water line and every once in a while the hole will whistle. This drove me crazy for a while. It can be stopped by stuffing a rag into the scupper by the vented loop air exit (and putting a note on the engine control panel to remind you of the rag).

With best regards,

Mark

Skipper

Sailing Vessel - Cream Puff - SM2K - #275

www.creampuff.us