Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Re: A54 Sleipner bowthruster uneven brush wear
toggle quoted messageShow quoted text
Hi Bill and 54 owners,
The issue with the Port-only-thrusting was resolved by removing and dismantling the double-solenoid power relay. After cleaning the contacts with sandpaper and corrosionX-ing the springs, it functioned correctly again. The issue was confusing because each relay would behave correctly independently (connecting the top posts and disconnecting the bottom ones) but activating the starboard one would cause the other one to loose its bottom (idle) connection(!).
Some more info I gathered in the meantime:
* The front relay (red and blue wires) is activated for starboard operation. The back relay (red and grey wires) for port.
* Power cables are marked A1, A2, D1, D2. A1 and A2 are the stator posts, D1 and D2 are the rotor bobin posts.
* the rotor and stator circuits are in series. The voltage of the rotor is reversed depending on direction.
* A1 is permanently connected to batteries Neg. A2, D1 and D2 are controlled by the relays.
* on idle, A2, D1 and D2 are connected together.
* on Starboard, the front relay connects D2 to batteries Pos (top posts). A2 and D1 are still connected by the bottom posts of the back relay. Circuit is: Pos=D2-rotor-D1=A2-stator-A1=Neg
* on Port, the back relay connects D1 to batteries Pos (top posts). A2 and D2 are still connected by the bottom posts of the front relay. Circuit is: Pos=D1-rotor-D2=A2-stator-A1=Neg
Hope that will help,
Fair winds and happy thrusting
(Oh, and the ground circuit leak got resolved too in the operation. Not sure exactly how, but it did)
AMEL 54 #122