Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Re: Can 220 Voltage Boat Plug Into a 115 Volt 30 Amp Shore Power

Ryan Meador

If you really want to solve the frequency issue, there is a device known as a "frequency converter" that can do it.  They're specialty items, usually only used by larger yachts and ships.  They're expensive and inefficient.  But they might be smaller and/or lighter than a transformer, and some of them can do a voltage change, too, so it might solve all your problems.  Essentially, it's a battery charger and an inverter in a single box, one feeding the other directly.

Ryan and Kelly
SM 233 Iteration
Boston, MA, USA

On Fri, Jun 8, 2018 at 10:46 AM, pacificcool@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Thanks much to all who commented on my question regarding plugging into 115 Volts with 60 Hz on a 220 volt boat with 50 Hz.  I checked my battery charger and it can accept any voltage and any frequency.  I'll check with Amel or Joel Potter and see how much it costs to install transformer.  I realize this won't solve the 60 Hz issue, but under the 80-20 rule it may be the best solution.

Thanks again.

Bill Shaproski
V Pacific Cool