Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Slowing down in increasing winds

Colin - ex SV Island Pearl

Wise decision Pat.

For our Caribbean cruising in 2019, and for our Pacific crossing afterwards, we cannot see ourselves forking out the extra cash for currents as it is far less important, and more benign so probably never a life or death decision.

I forgot to mention earlier that wave / swell heights and directiins right across the Indian Ocean so far have been absolutely spot on for P. Wind. When they said 3-4 meters that was precisely what we were in, and where it predicted 5-6m we got exactly that. Really impressive and we re-run our weather forecasts normally 2 to 3 times per 24hrs when on an ocean crossing. Why not ...it is free on the unlimited package and .... something intetesting to do out there when alone.... and means we can keep putting the boat is the best currents which were all amazingly accurate.

Wr have HF and oactor modem but are now real advocates of the IridiumGo and PW.

Colin
SV IslandPearl II
Amel SM #333
Rodrigues

Sent from my SAMSUNG Galaxy S6 on the Telstra Mobile Network

-------- Original message --------
From: "Patrick Mcaneny sailw32@... [amelyachtowners]" <amelyachtowners@...>
Date: 11/6/18 19:19 (GMT+04:00)
To: amelyachtowners@...
Subject: Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Slowing down in increasing winds

Colin, Thanks for the reply, always interesting to know what one's experience is with a product ,sounds positive . I would not get the professional version probably, but makes sense for you ,and where you are going. Currents have a greater impact on conditions in that part of the world. 

Thanks Again,
Pat
SM Shenanigans

-----Original Message-----
From: Sailing Island Pearl colin.d.streeter@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...>
To: amelyachtowners <amelyachtowners@...>
Sent: Mon, Jun 11, 2018 9:13 am

Hi Pat

Yes, we use P.Wind professional package with currents etc via an Iridium Go unlimited package. Bit pricey but well worth the money for our Indian Ocean crossing (and Sth Atlantic next too) as currents have been awesome.

Winds are good but were over estimated for most of our north Indian Ocean crossing (Thail -Maldives) and then under estimated by 5-10 kts for our Sth Indian Ocean crossing so far which everyone warned us about.

Currents have been exceptional and will be even more important soon as we intend to go back up around tge top of Madagascar after Mauritius and Reunion then down the notorious Mozambique channel with all its currents often hard to find.

PW gives 4 different weathet models and we always average tgem out and look for where they agree. With all this info you really do have a fair amount of control which we like.

I should also add we are also using a well known local Sth African weather routing expert ( Des Carlson) so tend to take all that info but always make our own decisions in the end and hence occasionally get it wrong such as this trip whete PW route would have been more direct and missed the worst of the weather we hit.... but that is life. You take a decision... win some...lose some etc.

Colin
SV Island Pearl II
Amel SM#332
Rodrigues

On Mon, 11 Jun. 2018, 02:36 Patrick Mcaneny sailw32@... [amelyachtowners], <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Colin, Sounds like a boisterous passage, I am sure exciting ,yet good to be done with , well done.What forecasting service do you use , is it not Predict Wind ? If so did you find it accurate , worthwhile.
Fair Winds ,
Pat
SM Shenanigans

-----Original Message-----
From: Sailing Island Pearl colin.d.streeter@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...>
To: amelyachtowners <amelyachtowners@...>
Sent: Sun, Jun 10, 2018 12:27 pm

We just did the Chagos to Rodrigues leg of South Indian Ocean passage, with 5 of 9 days in sustained 35 kts with lots of 40+kts and the wind speed pegged on max over 50kts on occasions.

The seas started at 3.5m swells but were well over 5m for two days and a very angry and unpredictable 6m or more at the peak for approx 24 hrs.

I can report rhat the SM handled this with ease. We had fortunately anticipated this, and hence made our southing from Chagos early in 25-30kts (ie upwind sailing), so by the time we hit the strong 35+ winds and big seas, we could bear off to a point where the wind was just behind the beam, making things far easier running down waves which would be near impossible to go upwind and over without launching into mid air and slamming down.

Whilst it was wild and sometimes white out conditions, never did we feel unsafe, and with mostly just a very small amount of all 3 sails out, the boat stayed in control at all times, and mainly under 7kts speed without any need for a drougue.

Hope we have no more 50+ kts on the balance of our Indian Ocean crossing, but it sure is nice to know and experience the amazing capability of these Amels when one is thousands of miles from anywhere.

Colin Streeter
SV Island Pearl II
SM #332, Rodrigues

On Wed, 6 Jun. 2018, 17:28 greatketch@... [amelyachtowners], <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Hans-Peter,

The mizzen boom on my boat most certainly can hit the twin backstays. I just went on deck to confirm.

The Main boon can hit the main mast back stay, but only IF the permanent fixed vang was not installed.

Hope that makes it clear..

Bill Kinney
SM160, Harmonie
Annapolis, MD, USA

Join main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.