Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Barnacle Buster

Patrick McAneny

Mark, Now that I know I can use it on the fresh water side, is this how I would proceed. I would drain all the antifreeze and refill with a 4 to 1 ratio mixture of B/B run the engine until it warms up , shut it down and let it sit for maybe three hours, then flush with water a couple of times. Does that sound about right.
Thanks,
Pat
SM Shenanigans

-----Original Message-----
From: 'Mark Erdos' mcerdos@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...>
To: amelyachtowners
Sent: Thu, Jun 14, 2018 7:16 pm
Subject: RE: [Amel Yacht Owners] Barnacle Buster

Hi Pat,

Yes. Use it on both sides. I have use BB on multiple surfaces without issue. However, keep it away from fiberglass – be sure not to spill any.

When done, I make up a baking soda solution and dunk the exchanger in it to neutralize any acid. Probably not necessary but I figure it couldn’t hurt.

Sent: Thursday, June 14, 2018 7:23 AM
To: amelyachtowners@...
Subject: Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Barnacle Buster

Mark, Its not bad ,all the holes are clear, but thought it might clean out stuff from between the tubes. So 4 hrs. and then flush with water to rid the acid. Do you know if it can be used on the fresh water side to clean out rust and small deposits.
Thanks,
Pat
SM#123

-----Original Message-----
From: 'Mark Erdos' mcerdos@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...>
To: amelyachtowners <amelyachtowners@...>
Sent: Wed, Jun 13, 2018 8:58 pm
Subject: RE: [Amel Yacht Owners] Barnacle Buster

Hi Pat,

BB will take at least four hours on a mild job. If your heat exchanger is blocked and has a lot of growth, I would suggest taking it to a radiator shop. They will do it for the price of a gal of BB. It should be clean throughout and shiny before you put it back on.

With best regards,

Mark

Skipper
Sailing Vessel - Cream Puff - SM2K - #275

Sent: Wednesday, June 13, 2018 8:32 PM
To: amelyachtowners@...
Subject: [Amel Yacht Owners] Barnacle Buster

I have never used anything like Barnacle Buster and have a question. I took out my heat exchanger and I understand that I can soak it to clean it , but how long? Another question is that the interior surfaces of the fresh water side looks pretty bad . Can I run B/B through my fresh water side to clean it out , if not is there something else to clean out the fresh water side.
Thanks,
Pat
SM#123

Join main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.