From: amelyachtowners@... [mailto:amelyachtowners@...]
Sent: Monday, June 18, 2018 11:32 AM
To: amelyachtowners@...
Subject: Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Capacitors for 160 AC Dessalator

Gary & Mohammad,

The Dessalator D150, later named the D160 went through lots of changes, with the membranes being about the only part that remainded the about the same in all models. I said about the same because when Dessalator made the D150, each of the two 25x40 membranes was rated at 75 liters per hour at pressure. Filmtech changed manufacturing of this membrane, increasing output to 80 liters and Dessalator renamed the D150 to D160.

BTW, some owners produce more than the rated numbers. You should not. Dial back the pressure knob so that output is correct for your membranes. Too much output and/or too much pressure will shorten membrane life.

Best,

CW Bill Rouse
Admiral, Texas Navy
Commander Emeritus
Amel School www.amelschool.com
720 Winnie St
Galveston Island, TX 77550
+1(832) 380-4970

On Sun, Jun 17, 2018, 23:39 amelliahona <no_reply@...> wrote:

Mohammad & Aty:

I don't know if we have the same motor for the HP Pump on the 160 l/hr Dessalator pump but I have noted your two different capacitors as opposed to the two 30 uf capacitors on mine.  Two 30 uf capacitors wired in PARALLEL yield a total capacitance of 60 uf.

A 70 uf and a 180 uf capacitor wired in SERIES yields a capacitance of 50.4 uf, whereas if they were wired in PARALLEL that would yield a capacitance of 250 uf.  I am guessing yours are wired in series.

I am wondering if perhaps the manufacturer changed how these are wired (economics of capacitors supply or they were changed as a repair along the way or perhaps some more obscure reason??).  The run capacitor sizing is a matter of trial and error in most cases to yield the greatest efficiency of the motor (i.e. the lowest running temperature).  If you have nothing better to do, I would be intereste d if you could verify how yours are wired.

All the best,

Gary S. Silver
s/v Liahona
Amel SM 2000 #335