Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Re: Shore Side Circuit Breaker Tripping When Plugging in Boat

Danny and Yvonne SIMMS

Hi,

I had the same occur when my hot water cylinder was turned on. The element was faulty and shorted out so the shore power breaker flipped..

Regards

Danny

SM 299 Ocean Pearl

On 19 June 2018 at 10:05 "mfmcgovern@... [amelyachtowners]" <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Bill,

One fairly simple thing to check is the auto transfer switch that selects ether the generator or shore power for AC Power.  Mine failed soon after converting our shore power cable to be able to plug into a US 50 Amp shore power outlet.  The switch on my SM was located in the engine room in a plastic box labelled "QUAI/GE" mounted on a wooden board outboard/above of the generator.  My SM is a 2004 model so I don't know if yours is configured the same as mine.

Mark Erdos from Cream Puff had the same switch fail on him as well:  http://www.creampuff.us/2015/07/the-night-the-lights-went-out-in-georgia/   I did not replace the failed switch with another autotransfer switch. I replaced it with a more robust manual "break-before-make" switch:  https://www.bluesea.com/products/8357/AC_Rotary_Switch_Panel_65_Ampere_2_positions_%2B_OFF_2_Pole

Note that this setup does require that I actually go into the engine room to change the switch position from Shore Power to Generator.  But as Mark Erdos pointed out to me, you really should be going into the engine room to check the oil in the generator anyway before starting it up!

I hope this helps.  Good luck finding your issue.

Mark McGovern
SM 440 Cara
Deale, MD USA