Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Re: IMPORTANT - Dessalator JIC Flare fittings on High Pressure Hoses + More

Craig Briggs

Oh Bill, puleeze - nobody's arguing. Not worth getting your pants in a bunch. The Dessalator guy just had the wrong Loctite number. I'm sure you accurately reported the (incorrect) info he gave you.  Not a biggie - we still love you!

So bottom line, Loctite recommends putting 5452 on the flared male surface of JIC fittings and on the threads. Dessalator recommends putting 542 (a thread locker only) on the smooth flared surface. Easy to pick the correct one.

Cheers, Craig

--In amelyachtowners@..., <brouse@...> wrote :

Craig & All,

You are correct about Loctite, and I said, that until yesterday, that is what I believed.

HOWEVER, I am correct about Dessalator stating this is required. In this case I believe that any Amel Owner should defer to what Dessalator states.

ADDITIONALLY, To ensure my complete understanding of what Dessalator was saying, I exchanged several drawings with Dessalator illustrating the application on the flare part of the JIC.

OF COURSE, any owner can and should make his own judgement as to what to do in  this case.

I was hoping that my communication the Amel Owner's Group would be appreciated, rather than argued. I will consider this issue the next time I learn something that I believe owners would want to know.

A client of Amel School is testing the Dessalator procedure this week to see if it will stop the slight leak at the flare joint. We are hopeful that it will, however, I think there is at least a 50% chance that the flare faces are damaged and that is the cause of his leak. Possibly he will report on this thread the results.

Best,
Bill Rouse

On Tue, Jun 19, 2018 at 9:57 AM sangaris@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Bill and All,

Yes, do use a sealant on JIC fittings. Perhaps a typo in BebeBill's post, but Henkel, the manufactured of Loctite, does not recommend Loctite 542 for this, They recommend Loctite 5452 and state it should be applied to both the male face of the JIC fitting and to the threads (for vibration resistance). See their data sheet for more info at https://www.turtle.com/ASSETS/DOCUMENTS/ITEMS/EN/Loctite_1265769_Datasheet.pdf

Another option, perhaps easier to use, is the Flaretite Seal, which is a thin 304 stainless seal with Loctite baked on. Just insert it over the JIC and connect.  And, of course, other brands are out there.

Cheers,  Craig Br iggs, SN68 Sangaris

---In amelyachtowners@..., <brouse@...> wrote :
All,
Please read all of this.

Just when I was fairly confident that I knew all I needed to know about changing/servicing Dessalator Membranes, I learned something new from Dessalator, France.

As you know, the Dessalator High Pressure Hoses connect to the High Pressure Pump, Control Panel, and Membranes utilizing a stainless steel JIC Flare fitting. A JIC fitting is widely used in many industries for connections of fluid-carrying hoses at high pressure. JIC fitting connections have matched 37-degree flare seating surfaces. I have always believed that JIC seals metal-to-metal. I was wrong in terms of Dessalator.

Dessalator notified me yesterday to use Loctite 542 on the "flare part only" of all JIC fittings....(non-relevant text deleted).

Best, Bill Rouse