Re: Boots for spreaders

greatketch@...

Even the best trimmed genoa has to rub across the spreader tip on every tack.

Even the most carefully trimmed genoa will touch the spreader when the wind dies and the stretch relaxes in the sail and sheets. Granted, the trimmer should fix that ASAP, but on a cruising boat that might take some time to notice and adjust.  At night it might not be noticed for hours.

I agree, it should never be trimmed to touch, but expecting even the most attentively trimmed genoa to never make contact with a spreader tip is unrealistic.

My boat has the plastic "wheels" on the shrouds to help the sail move easily by when tacking.  They work, and they leave the actual spreader tip and shrouds easily visible for inspection.

Bill Kinney
SM160, Harmonie
Annapolis, MD, USA

---In amelyachtowners@..., <art@...> wrote :

A properly trimmed genoa should not touch a spreader.

"The cure for anything is salt water; sweat, tears, or the sea." - Karen Blixen