Re: Curaçao Customs

Arno Luijten

Hi Mark,

We live on Curacao.
Potentially you will have some problems here. This Island is not known for it's flawless organization. Although you are able to get your parts "tax-free" on your boat the route you've chosen is, depending on the parts you carry, not great. The way this normally works is that you get the parts via one of the boat-shops on the Island. They know how to process this.
When you land on Curacao you may get inspected and charged with import duty and sales tax. It depends on the parts and, in honesty, the mood of the guys at the customs-line. Sometimes they are not even there. But most of the times you will be required to put your bags through an X-ray machine. They are specifically interested in electronics as most people that come in from the US are buying all kinds of that stuff abroad.
I guess you can get the money back afterwards if they do charge you but I'm pretty sure that the road for this will be (very) long.
So it does depend on the parts you are bringing.
Let me know if you need more info.

Kind regards,

Arno Luijten