questions from new Amel owner

David Crisp

Hi All,

Bought a 1995 Super Maramu three months ago. AM hoping some of you
experienced owners cananswer some questions I have.

(1) Fuel Consumption - engine (TMD22)
What is the recommended motoring speed and engine RPM for the Super
Maramu? What is the fuel consumption at this cruising speed?

(2) Fuel consumption - generator
What is the normal fuel consumption of the generator? I have an
Onan 6.5KVA

(3) Battery Charger
The boat house batteries are not fully recharging after use.
I have reset the battery management system.
After one cycle of use (to 65% discharge) the battery management
system is indicating recharge to about 92-95% capacity after 4 hours
of charging (this is a long time it seems to me). After one week on
220V shore power with battery charger always on the system is
showing 98% charge.
The battery bank has 400AHrs at 24V total capacity.
I have checked the battery bank voltage with charger off, all load
removed and after one hour stabilization the voltage is 26.50V.
With battery charger on voltage is 28.05V

I am concerned that as I cycle the batteries more I will
progressively loose capacity as they sulphate through incomplete
recharging. A new set of batteries were installed one year ago.
Can antone advise me what to do or who to speak to?
What further checks should I make?

(4) Depth SOunder.
What is the depth offset for the depth sounder to display actual
water depth? (ie distance from sensor to water level)

(5) I notice there is an orange light or plastic dome on the top of
the main mast. Can you tell me what this is for? It has a grey
wire running from it down the mast.

(6) When motoring under power at night regulations state you should
show red and green navigation lights in the bow, a white stern light
and a second white light showing forwards over an arc of 225 degrees
("steaming light") about half way up the mast. On my Amel there is
no "steaming light" half way up the mast. In my experience of the
Super Maramu so far Amel appear to think of everything! Can anyone
explain why Amel has not fitted one? I believe I need to fit a
steaming light but perhaps I have misunderstood the regulations.

(7) The B&G Hydra system has no flux gate compass. Can I hook the
B&G system up to the Autohelm system via NMEA in order to share
compass data from the Autohelm? Likewise can you link the GPS and
radar? How do you do such things?

FYI am currently in Mahon, Menorca. We hope to leave for Gibraltar
in a few days. From there onto the Canaries and Caribbean. Not
doing the ARC but would love to be in touch with any other Amel
owners crossing this winter.

Regards
David Crisp
'Gallant of Fowey'