Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Boots for spreaders

James Alton

Bill,

   You don’t miss much.  (grin)   I wonder sometimes when I am slatting in light winds if the engine would cost less to cover the same number of miles as the wear and tear on the sails, blocks etc.  I find sailing to be much more enjoyable than motoring so unless there is a good reason to rush I am usually willing to pay the possible extra cost per mile for the peace and quiet.

   May I ask what your experienced thoughts are on when to motor or not on a long passage?

Thanks,

James Alton
SV Sueño
Maramu #220

On Jun 20, 2018, at 8:48 AM, Bill Rouse brouse@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

James,

Exactly. I didn't want to be the one to say it. I have a friend that goes through sails in 5 years, but puts almost zero hours on his engine.

Best,

CW Bill Rouse
Admiral, Texas Navy
Commander Emeritus
Amel School www.amelschool.com
720 Winnie St
Galveston Island, TX 77550
+1(832) 380-4970

On Tue, Jun 19, 2018, 19:44 James Alton lokiyawl2@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

I think that most of the wear on a Genoa from the spreader tips occurs when the winds are light and there is a beam sea running making the boat roll.  Under those conditions the Genoa can rub the spreader tip even with the sheet well eased.  Patches on the Genoa certainly help but a well rounded roller on the spreader tip I think helps even more.

Best,

James
SV Sueno
Maramu #220

On Jun 19, 2018 5:34 PM, "arthur saftlas art@... [amelyachtowners]" <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

A properly trimmed genoa should not touch a spreader.

"The cure for anything is salt water; sweat, tears, or the sea." - Karen Blixen