Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Older Maramu steering system pics

smiles bernard

Hi James

Good to hear from you
I know that busy feeling !
We leave the uk on the 17th and have thew house to clear for rental plus everyone but me has a vomiting bug!

I'm very glad the pics are helpful :)
yes very very little wear on the racks
yes the cables are adjusted at the quadrant
you can see the adjustment points on the attached pic

I actually dont know how these work. I had to slacken off one side to allow for the reassembly so i need to look at is again and readjust things but its a strange set up. The locking/adjustment nuts either side of the tube clamp are held captive by a large washer with tabs on it (just about visible on the pic). So i cant quite figure out how you are supposed to adjust things as the nuts wont turn as they are held in place

I'll have another look once we are afloat again

Thanks so much for the thoughts on the anode attachments. I will check .... i did not remove the anode of connecting bolt so i'm not sure if it had to be screwed out of if its just pushed through a whole in the rudder metal.
I'll see it the yard can thread it if not, put a bigger threaded bar in place and oversize the anode holes

She's had all her antifoul and primer stripped
which revealed the hull in good shape - nice and dry but no gelcoat - in places you can see the fiber. I think it must have been stripped before. The yard is suggesting 4 or 5 coats of epoxy before the coppercoat. Do you think that sounds about right?

Hope you manage to find some space between the work to rest soon

All the very best

Miles

On Saturday, June 23, 2018, 1:37:06 AM GMT+1, James Alton lokiyawl2@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Miles,

   Sorry that I did not comment on these excellent photos earlier, we have been doing the 70-80 hour work week thing lately so a few things have had to slide a bit.  (grin)  The center photo of the rack is interesting to me since it appears that there is very little wear!  It is very helpful to see how some of these bits come apart since I have not taken the steering system on Sueño apart yet so thanks for sharing.

    Can you tell me if the cables are adjusted at the quadrant end or at the other end?

Best,

James Alton
SV Sueño
Maramu #220

On Jun 16, 2018, at 12:12 PM, smiles bernard smilesbernard@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

[Attachment(s) from smiles bernard included below]

Hey folks

I thought these might be of interest for those with older Maramus with the morse red cables and the Morse 401 commander steering system.

I know it would have helped me to have had these so hope they are helpful for any future service plans

All the best
Miles