SM 2000, Yanmar, negative solenoids isolating the engine

John and Anne on Bali Hai <annejohn@...>

I am having trouble with the electrical circuits on this engine which
was one of the first Yanmars to be fitted and as such it was an extra.
The wiring diagrams in the handbook, workshop manual and owners
wiring diagrams give no indication of how Amel wired the engine with
a solenoid on the negative side.
My problem is that sometimes the engine starter will not work but
that seems to have gone away since I have been blundering around the
wiring system but I still have a problem with the stop solenoid. The
engine will not stop until I turn the red fitting on the side of the
injection pump or until I feed the pump solenoid with 12 volts from a
different source. A meter reading on the feed to the solenoid from
the stop button reads about 6 volts until I short out the terminals
on the solenoid supplying negative to the engine at which point the
stop solenoid works.
Ant help would be much appreciated as otherwise I have to queue up
for service from the local agents who will only look at it after they
have digested the full details of the engine including the serial
number.
Having been ripped off by the local air con con artist for 68euros=68
US for a 3euro=3US for a capacitor I am not too happy with the
service people here in Palma, Majorca.

Regards, John, SM 319