Isolated grounding question - solar installation

James Cromie

Good morning everyone.

I am in the process of planning an installation of solar panels on a stainless steel arch on my Amel SM2000.  Understanding that it has an isolated ground, I would plan to wire the panels with only a positive and negative to the charge controller, and not have any connection to ship's ground.

It would seem appropriate to connect the steel arch to the ship's ground considering that it will inevitably develop a charge.

If this is the case, then I must isolate the panels from the steel frame by insulating all of the attachment points.   Is this really necessary to ground the arch, even though it is anchored strictly on to the fiberglass hull?

Can anyone comment on their experience and suggestions?

Thank you very much!

James

Soteria

SM2K #347, Portsmouth, RI