Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Isolated grounding question - solar installation

hanspeter baettig

Hello James
As an Electric Engineer, I can trustful tell you. Lightening hit; has nothing to do what ever you do with your electrical/electronic installation on your boat. There is Nothing what you can do ! 
Only thanks god,  hopefully never will happen. This is the most dangerous problem with blue water sailing, specially in areas with a lot of lightening, for ex. strait of Singapure/Malasia or around everywhere in the tropics, but happens seldom. If yes, then we have a serious, costly problem,
But enyoi sailing. Cross my fingers.

kr
Hanspeter
SM 16, Tamango 2

----Ursprüngliche Nachricht----
Von : amelyachtowners@...
Datum : 26/06/2018 - 14:02 (MS)
An : amelyachtowners@...
Betreff : Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Isolated grounding question - solar installation

Thank you for your input and experience. I waS also not originally planning to bond the frame. Your points about the other metallic fixtures are good. However, I wonder about how this situation may be different considering the arch is holding a high voltage system. My feeling is it should not matter as long as the solar power circuit “-“ is well insulated from the housing. 

What about the potential risk related to lightening? Is this at all relevant?

Pardon my ignorance!

James

On Jun 26, 2018, at 3:42 AM, divanz620@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Interesting....

We have a stainless arch with solar panels and a wind generator on a separate mount, but none of this framework is connected to the bonding system.
I'm not sure that this is necessary.
None of the other stainless structures on the boat are connected to the bonding system.
The masts and rigging aren't, neither are the rails around the boat, nor the bow roller fitments.
I'd be interested to know what others think about this
Olivier ? Bill R ? Bill K?
Cheers
Alan
Elyse SM437

Join main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.