Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Re: Finally a real forum member

Sv Garulfo

Hi Arno,

Congratulations and welcome !

We put coppercoat on Garulfo last year.
It worked great in the med.
In the Caribbean, we were disappointed to get green algae. But no barnacles whatsoever, just soft stuff and, in Martinique, the tiny shrimps that seems to feed on it.
However, one advantage of coppercoat is that you can very easily remove whatever has tried to stick to it with a sponge and you get back to where you started. And that for years to come. We've done it a couple of times in the Caribbean before longer passages.

If you search the forum, you'll get more instances of positive feedback and analysis of pros and cons and tips for application.
One piece I agree on is Bill Rouse's: satisfaction with the product depends on your expectations.

Hope that helps,

Thomas
GARULFO
A54-122
Curacao

On Wed, 27 Jun 2018 at 13:49, Kent Robertson karkauai@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Congratulations and welcome to the group Arno.

I am using SeaHawk Island 44.  It is available in the US only for boats over 75 ft.  It is tin based and works great for 4-4.5 years.  All the big boats and ships use tin- based paints because they perform better.

I haven’t hauled the boat just to service the prop shaft.  My C-drive oil remains clear.  I drop the bow thruster after 2 years to check the oil in it and so far it has remained clear and no loss.  I rarely dock so the bow thruster gets very little use.  I put 4-500 hours a year on the engine.

A word of warning...nothing else sticks to tin-based paints.  To recoat with another product, the hull has to be completely stripped (in a closed environment in the US).

Kent Robertson
Kristy
SM 243

On Jun 27, 2018, at 7:32 AM, 'Luijten A.F.' arno.luijten@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Thanks to all the people for the advice and congrats. It seems the Micron 77-stuff is the way forward.