Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Bow-Truster overheat

Ruedi,

The Amel 54 Bow Thruster has an internal thermal switch (sometimes called thermal reset or thermal cutout). 10 - 15 minutes is a lot of use and will probably cause the thermal switch to open. You should limit your use to 5 second bursts with at least 5 seconds between bursts. Sometimes people will overuse a bow thruster by constantly correcting back-and-forth. If this is what you are doing, try to minimize having to correct.

The thermal switch in the Amel 54 bow thruster has been known to become defective. I know of one case of this happening and SidePower suggested that the thruster needed to be returned to them for replacement. I am not sure if you or I could do this replacement of the thermal switch because I have never done it.

Good luck.

Best,

CW Bill Rouse
Admiral, Texas Navy
Commander Emeritus

Amel School  http://www.amelschool.com
720 Winnie St
Galveston Island, TX 77550

+1(832) 380-4970

On Wed, Jun 27, 2018 at 11:58 AM Rudolf@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Dear Forum

On my Amel-54 I discovered that the bow truster stops working after repeatingly use within 10-15 min timeframe.

I used the bow truster a bit more than usual when I practiced some manouvers first time; - and on a second occation when I had to manouver in a marina with a lot of windguests of 18+ kn and another chain over my Anker.

It stopped working and after a while (maybe 10 min.) it re-started & operated normaly. I know BT Is not made for constant use, - only few seconds at a time. Then wait and re-use another time.

Question from a beginner:

Does the bow truster has a termic fuse which is activated after some time of usage to save the motor from overheating?

Does anyone know exactly how it works and if this can be adjusted because I think the BT on Wasabi switches of quite fast. Any ideas or other information?

Best regards

Ruedi

SY Wasabi A54#55

Sailing Cyclades GR.