Re: SM Batteries

islandpearl2_sm2k332

Our 8 x Trojan 105's 225amp 6v lead acid batteries failed here in Mauritius today after being plugged in to shore power whilst we travelled inland for 4 days. We have just purchased 8 x 220 amp 6V AGM's (just over US$2000) of same dimensions. There were limited choices available out here in the Indian Ocean and with many on the forum now moved to AGM's, we decided to part ways from the trusty Trojans we liked so much, when none were available here.

We have a Victron 24v Victron 70amp/3000w Inverter charger and 850w solar coming in through a Tracer 40amp solar controller. Our Rutland 1200 Wind Gen solar controller unit would not work with the recent 300w of extra solar panels we put on so I direct wired those in to the battery bank and that could possibly have been my downfall!

Also our Yanmar 75hp has the original standard 80amp alternator on it which I think pushes out a constant 28.8v.

Any wisdom and/or suggestions on what I should look out for or change tomorrow when I connect the AGM's into my system for the first time after running this boat on lead acid for the past 16yrs? The AGM's came with no charge settings so keen to know what most of you set your various 3 stage charge settings at?