Re: Cleansing fresh water tanks

John and Anne on Bali Hai <annejohn@...>

-

Hello again Barry,
Mental abberation, I did of course mean to say Trade Winds III.
Good luck with the bleach. Anne and John SM 319

-- In amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com, "seagasm" <seagasm@...> wrote:

Thankyou for your assistance, I have read the post and will give it
the shock treatment recommended. John, our SM is Tradewinds III and
not Fairwinds. We purchased her from Ron and Heather Brown whose
berth
we have the use of for a month while we prepare her. They purchased
her from WA and may well be the person you speak of. We are
currently
on the Gold Coast down from Brisbane. Thankyou again for your help.

Regards Barry

--- In amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com, "John and Anne on Bali Hai"
<annejohn@> wrote:

Hello Barry, welcome to the site and congrats on getting
Fairwinds 111
which we first met up with in New Cal in 1998 or 9 when it was
being
sailed back to Oz by its owner, a very successful engineer from
Perth,
who has since acquired a 54 and sailed it back.
If you put my subject heading in the Search box it should take
you back
to some early advice on a very thorough cleaning method or cheat
by
putting Msg Nos 1363 and 4 in the other box.
I have never been so thorough and we never take on shore water
as we
can make 160 ltrs per hour with the watermaker. After seven years
we
thought there was a musty taste so we put a lot of bleach into a
fairly
full tank and went sailing to slosh it around before emptying it
out
and refilling with desalinated water. I think that the chlorine
vanishes after about a couple of weeks but anyhow the important
thing
is not to let chlorinated water anywhere near your watermaker as
it
will destroy the membranes PDQ.
Where are you based, we visit Perth and Sydney around New Year
sometimes?

Good luck, Anne and John, SM319