Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Gas Struts for Engine Hatch

I think that the challenge has been identified. There are so many variables in these common gas struts, that to find one sitting on a shelf would be a miracle.

There are some websites that will take you step-by-step through the process of identifying all of the options...BUT, here are some of my notes...

In retrospect, I would try 300N...Amel OEM was 400N, but SM engine hatches have a tendency to bulge where these are mounted. 400N = 90 pounds each...300N = 67 pounds each...I think it will work.

Best,

CW Bill Rouse
Admiral, Texas Navy
Commander Emeritus

Amel School  http://www.amelschool.com
720 Winnie St
Galveston Island, TX 77550

+1(832) 380-4970

On Mon, Jul 2, 2018 at 4:26 PM Alexandre Uster von Baar uster@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Hello Mark, you beat me to it !!!
But please remember the input from Bill after my post as they are many variable and the specs I have/gave were not complete, therefore it worked then.

Sincerely, Alexandre

Subject: RE: [Amel Yacht Owners] Gas Struts for Engine Hatch
To: amelyachtowners@...
Date: Monday, July 2, 2018, 4:26 PM

From the
forum:

Good memory Kent,

I purchased 2 from

Bansbach easylift in Florida 321-253-1999

Esteban Contreras estebanc@...

A1A1N40-250-608/400N 316L Stainless Steel

Meaning a stroke of 250 mm with 608 mm overall

400 NM resistance

The stroke is 8 mm

The Diameter of the cylinder is 19 mm

With 8 mm hinge on each side.

Took a few weeks to build

They were $125 each (and free shipping).

These were the highest standard they are, guaranty for
10.000 opening...

They also had a cheaper standard line.

Sincerely, Alexandre

SM2K #289 NIKIMAT