Re: ball valve on outlet of holding tank replacement

Craig Briggs

Mark recommends a Bronze valve (by Groco, although many other brands are out there)  - these are NOT brass and are excellent! 
Gary recommends "Naval Brass" or "Marine Brass".  These also are not (regular) brass and are excellent!
Both are standard for marine use and they contain tin to reduce corrosion. 

The same valves are more readily available in brass - absolutely wrong. The memory jogger for marine use is, "Brass, my ass!"

Cheers, Craig SN68

---In amelyachtowners@..., <isaac_02906@...> wrote :

Hello Peter,

I just did this job a couple of months ago with the boat in the water.  It was not as difficult or unpleasant as I had expected.  The valve you need can be purchased on Amazon

I took the toilet out (three or four bolts on the base and two hoses to remove) for better access only because a large wrench is required to break the valve free.  The gelcoat must be chipped from the base of the valve prior to removal not only so your wrench will fit, but also so the valve will turn more easily.  There is a male pipe fitting glassed into the hull onto which the female side of the valve threads.  A plastic piece with a hose barb threads into the other side of the valve (I reused mine).  Don't forget the pipe dope or teflon tape as well as the bonding wire.

Mark Isaac
Lulu, SM#391
South Freeport, Maine

---In amelyachtowners@..., <no_reply@...> wrote :


See this link to the photos section of this forum for details and specifications on this replacement:

If the link doesn't work then go to the photos section and search for holding tank, or valve etc.  There is file folder on this issue.  I do wish folks would post all related photos in folders with appropriate searchable titles rather than by boat name etc.  

I would recommend "marine brass"  or "naval brass" (silver colored valves like Amel originally installed), rather than regular brass valve.  See this link for why this is more resistant to dezincification etc.
 The fittings, as noted in the photo file, are BPSS  (British straight pipe thread) so you must use a sealant that will harden somewhat or the new valve will rotate when you actuate the handle.

Good luck, 

Gary S. Silver
s/v Liahona
Amel SM 2000 #335   
Just completing hurricane repairs, sitting next to a sister ship,  Amel # 331 "Cloud Street" at Island Marine Inc, at Puerto Del Rey, Puerto Rico

Join to automatically receive all group messages.