Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] engine cruising RPM

Mark Erdos

Ryan,

This is the age old question! Should I run at a higher RPM for an extra knot but half the fuel efficiency? The diesel engine manufacturer says yes, my wallet says no.

Our personal preference under engine only is about 1800 RPM (Yanmar 4jh4). This is where we burn about a gallon of fuel per hour and can get about 6 knots pretty easily. When motor sailing – we will run at 14-1500 RPM. The fuel burn is about ¾ gal per hour.

If you decide to run the engine at lower RPM to save fuel (as we do), then it is very important to run the engine hard for about 5 minutes every hour. For us this is 26-2800 RPM. This will eliminate carbon build up in the exhaust system and prolong the life of the engine. Diesel engines prefer to be run hard about 80% of max RPM. Running a lower RPMs without load will shorten the life of the engine unless it is pushed up at least once per hour for about 5 minutes. This is outlinede in the Yanmar operation manual. I would assume the same is true for Volvo.

Hope this helps

With best regards,

Mark

Skipper

Sailing Vessel - Cream Puff - SM2K - #275

Currently cruising - Curacao

www.creampuff.us