Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] engine cruising RPM

Ryan Meador

Thank you all for the info.  As I predicted going in, there is no simple answer.  But I think I have some guides now.

Ryan and Kelly
SM 233 Iteration
Boston, MA, USA

On Sun, Jul 8, 2018 at 4:06 PM Courtney Gorman Itsfun1@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Amen Porter well said

On Jul 8, 2018, at 12:41 PM, Porter McRoberts portermcroberts@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Teun,

Mostly true. New long block 800 hours ago and New injectors about 400 hours ago.
It is a common rail.
On a different topic. We’re currently stuck in panama with a bad boost pressure sensor.
I have envy of anyone who can unplug the computer and have the engine run.
The concept that a computer controlled engine be installed in a world cruising sailboat seems antithetical to the purpose of a sailboat, and to ours in particular.
I’ve been training (at your knees, and especially Bill R’s) for the past year to be as self sufficient as possible, and to be thwarted by a stray electron underscores how vulnerable we are. Our cruising buddies are on a 1984 trintella. Sailed from Croatia. They are in year #5. Old Perkins runs like a boss. I asked my buddy, who is in his own right a Jedi of machinery, how often he changes his fuel filters.  He chuckled.  “I don’t think I’ve needed to do that” he said. Pressure’s good. Engine runs well.
I had engine envy. Not that the Volvo isn’t a fine piece of hardware, but.... it’s the intersection of important and complicated. Not a good combo. Like I say. Thank God for sails, and the fact that we sailors got around just fine for the first 1000 years without motors.

In short. Seems like diesels (or the industry and associated standards) took a step back in the past 15 years putting efficiency over simplicity. I think Nigel Calder would agree.

Have wonderful Sundays. Without this motor glitch we wouldn’t have seen the incredibly beautiful town of El Valle up here in the Panamanian cordillera.

Porter, Helen and crew
S/V Ibis
54-152
Panama City

On Jul 7, 2018, at 6:30 PM, Teun BAAS teun@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Hi Porter,

I understood you had a new VOLVO installed. If so, and it is a common rail, then there is NO need to run the engine on high rpms to “burn out the soot”.

This is the specific instruction I got this week from the SYDNEY VOLVO technician installing my VOLVO D3 110 H here in NOUMEA NEW CALEDONIA.

Best Regards Teun

AMELIT  54 – 128

NOUMEA NEW CALEDONIA

Jul 08, 2018   10:27:44