Re: leak in saloon drain hose

Craig Briggs

Yes, Ryan, that does look like one butt-ugly agglomeration of plumbing fittings - must  be French :-) I've never seen a Street Elbow with at "T" off the side and the white part looks like maybe a drain trap. The hoses are all standard stuff - I've cut the main run to add a "T" for my air conditioner and it's all plastic (no wire).

Anyway, I think I'd start with a roll of paper towels, dry it all off and try to spot the leak by alternately pouring water down each feed and dabbing around with the paper towel. Maybe use some blue holding tank deodorant as a dye to help spot the leak. If you find it, then try a patch with something like Seal-All.  I usually wouldn't recommend trying to seal a leak from the outside, but that assembly is going to be a beast to replace as it does look like it's glued together with PVC cement and the age-hardened hoses and tight space around make it worse.  Seal-All is cheap and it really does work wonders, even applied from the outside..

Rots 'o ruck!
Craig SN68.

---In amelyachtowners@..., <ryan.d.meador@...> wrote :

I'm concerned my photo didn't appear correctly because I can't find it on the Yahoo site, so I'm attaching it a difH

ferent way this time.  Hopefully this makes it more clear what I'm talking about.  Thanks!

On Mon, Jul 9, 2018 at 10:26 PM Ryan Meador <ryan.d.meador@...> wrote:
Hi all,

I have noticed a very slow leak in the drain hose that runs from the forward watertight bulkhead, beneath the floor in the saloon, to the area beneath the companionway.  It fills the space beneath the companionway stairs with water.  I think the leak is at the fitting where the dishwasher drain and air conditioning condensate T into it:

IMG_20180709_211135.jpg

I'm unsure if the leak is between the hose and the fitting, or the fitting itself has cracked.  I'm afraid to take it apart without a plan.  I'm wondering if someone can help me with a few questions:
  1. does this thing come apart?  it looks like the parts are glued, except the hose clamps
  2. what is the white part in the middle?
  3. do you know the inside diameters of the hoses?  is there anything special about the material of the one that runs the length of the saloon?
Thanks,
Ryan and Kelly
SM 233 Iteration
Boston, MA, USA