Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Re: Sonic Speed

Hi Gary, Having transported my sonic speed box back to the UK ,B & G have now told me that there is nothing wrong with it and that it must be the transducers !They explain that the test that Goodwood Marine in Trini had carried out on the transducers ( following the instructions of B&G in the UK) doesn't prove that the transducers work.( To be fair, the fault we have is that wretched thing " an intermittent fault", and maybe when Goodwood Marine did their tests the damn things were working.A new pair apparently costs about £200, about $360 ( and falling, for you guys....). As Pen Azen is on the hard in Trini I have decided to fit new ones when we return in November. Watch this space....
Cheers, Ian and Judy, Pen Azen, SM 302

To: amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com
From: no_reply@yahoogroups.com
Date: Mon, 16 Jun 2008 15:01:59 +0000
Subject: [Amel Yacht Owners] Re: Sonic Speed

Hi Ian:

Any updates on your sonic speed problem? While in Guadeloupe last week I asked the
Porchoen tech to have a look at my sonic speed system as I have been wondering about
the accuracy of my system and have been making attempts at calibrating it. Here are
some tips that we discussed:
1. It is important to have clean sensors (nothing dangling in front or between the sender
and receiver sensors). I had recently cleaned mine and noted an improvement. While
painting them doesn't seem to harm them, some sort of sea growth intermittently blocking
the transmission path or causing water turbulence in that path may cause errors.
2. He stated that the sensors very seldom fail but when they do it is because of water
intrusion. He confirmed that they can be replaced via their mounting tubes without
grinding fiberglass etc, but that this is most easily done when out of the water.
3. He indicated that if the knob in the computer is set such that it is in the mid range of
the red LED staying on, and that the LED stays illuminated most of the time when
underway, that this will virtually confirm that the sensors are working properly.
4. The calibration number that they put in to the calibration set up on the B&G display for
the Amel Super Maramu is 6.2. That almost always works. I had been working all around
this number in my calibrations but this number seems to be the best.
5. If all else fails you can do a complete reset of the B&G system (supposedly detailed in
the B&G installation manual. The drawback to this is that it resets the boats log.

Just some more thought as well all strive to understand our technology.
.
Gary Silver s/v Liahona Amel SM 2000 hull # 335

Win New York holidays with Kellogg’s & Live Search
http://clk.atdmt.com/UKM/go/107571440/direct/01/