Re: Cleansing fresh water tanks

seagasm <seagasm@...>

Hi John, we are still in the marina berth having work done on the
boat. This being the case, we are unable to flush the tank out since
it is classed as a marine sanctuary. We are having Tradewinds
re-rigged and a new soft dodger made, something I can actually stand
beneath without stooping. I will post pictures once finished.

Regards, Barry and Robyn
--- In amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com, "joemac4sail"
<joemac4sail@...> wrote:

Hi Barry just curious, have you had a look in the water tank, Im sure
there is the same access, in your case under fridge, as there is in
ours, a Santorin under the sink. I had to re attach the float to the
dip stick last year and was suprised with what had collected there
over the years. If its the same sort of tank the internal gelcoat
wall it may help to give it a wipe down.

Regards Joe Mc Donnell

--- In amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com, "John and Anne on Bali Hai"
<annejohn@> wrote:

Hello Barry, welcome to the site and congrats on getting Fairwinds
111
which we first met up with in New Cal in 1998 or 9 when it was
being
sailed back to Oz by its owner, a very successful engineer from
Perth,
who has since acquired a 54 and sailed it back.
If you put my subject heading in the Search box it should take you
back
to some early advice on a very thorough cleaning method or cheat by
putting Msg Nos 1363 and 4 in the other box.
I have never been so thorough and we never take on shore water as
we
can make 160 ltrs per hour with the watermaker. After seven years
we
thought there was a musty taste so we put a lot of bleach into a
fairly
full tank and went sailing to slosh it around before emptying it
out
and refilling with desalinated water. I think that the chlorine
vanishes after about a couple of weeks but anyhow the important
thing
is not to let chlorinated water anywhere near your watermaker as it
will destroy the membranes PDQ.
Where are you based, we visit Perth and Sydney around New Year
sometimes?

Good luck, Anne and John, SM319