Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Steering Failure on 1992 SM72 "Aloha"

Patrick McAneny

Steve, I am glad you have the same layout. No worries about the mailing ,my treat. We'll get everything on the way to you asap.
Thanks,
Pat
SM Shenanigans

-----Original Message-----
To: amelyachtowners
Sent: Mon, Jul 16, 2018 7:34 pm
Subject: Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Steering Failure on 1992 SM72 "Aloha"

Thanks Pat...it is greatly appreciated. We have modified our aft stateroom a bit by removing the fiberglass liners on both sides, building the berth on the port side out to King size at the head and queen at the foot, and adding new cabinetry on the stbd side. With that said, the area under the port berth where the drive will go, is not changed in any way that will cause an issue. 

I’ll give you my Hawaii address below, and please let me know if I can send you a check or do a pay pal to reimburse you for mailing cost. 

Aloha,

Steve

Steve Davis
95-464 Kaelo Place
Mililani, Hawaii 96789

Cell: 510-908-1835

Steve Davis
S/V Aloha

On Jul 16, 2018, at 12:33 PM, Patrick Mcaneny sailw32@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Steve, It is a pretty straight forward solution ,uses no usable space and does not require cutting out any structural components . Remember you need a 24 v linear drive with the long arm. You will also want to buy an A/B switch , in order to switch back and forth between the rotary and linear drive. I will send photo of that as well.I will very soon take many more photos and measurements for you . Do you have the same layout as I do, with the berth to port ? I will try to make a template of the extension arm . Would you have an address , I could mail it to you? By the way, congratulations on making a long passage and dealing well through your steering issue. 
Pat
SM Shenanigans

From: Stephen Davis flyboyscd@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...>
To: amelyachtowners <amelyachtowners@...>
Sent: Mon, Jul 16, 2018 4:50 pm

Patrick, I have looked at the photo section, and your technique, seems the most simple of the 2 different methods I’ve seen this done with an older SM. We are definitely going to do the job with your method, but not until we get the steering fixed. Any dimensions or template for the quadrant extension would save me a lot of time and energy trying to re-invent the wheel. Since I have the steering apart now, I may start to do some of the legwork in the near future. Whenever you have to time, I’d greatly appreciate it if you can send me what you have. 

Thanks,

Steve Davis
S/V Aloha

On Jul 16, 2018, at 9:39 AM, Patrick Mcaneny sailw32@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Steve, Rather than fabricating a new quadrant , which would have been necessary had we attempted to replicate Amels original installation , I only had to fabricate an extension arm and weld it to the existing quadrant .  The design and installation on my boat went very smoothly , easy to do and has proven to work well for thousands of miles . After looking at your options ,if you chose to do an installation such as I did , I will be glad to supply you with more pictures and measurements , perhaps even a template of the extension arm.. Have you looked at the photo section , I just did and there is a couple of pics that shows clearly what I did . Let me know if you go this route, and I will help in any way I can. 
Good Luck,
Pat 
SM Shenanigans

From: flyboyscd@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...>
To: amelyachtowners <amelyachtowners@...>
Sent: Mon, Jul 16, 2018 2:14 pm

Hi Patrick,

Thanks for your response regarding our steering. We have it on our very long list while in Hawaii this year to add a linear drive. Do you have any specs on how you modified the quadrant on the drive attachment side?  Any info you have on this would be a big help in figuring out how to make the modification.

If you want to email me directly, try flyboyscd at gmail dot com.

Thanks,

Steve
Aloha SM 72

Join main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.