Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Re: Steering Failure on 1992 SM72 "Aloha"

Herbert Lackner

Hi Bill, I think I could not express myself very clear, try to say it again, sorry for my English:

when the rudder is moved by the rotary drive (or by the steering wheel) it moves very smooth, you can turn it with the "little finger".  If I try to move the rudder (on the hard) by pushing or pulling it I need quite a lot of power until it moves (and of course the steering wheel turns also). So I thought, that the system is designed in a way that it runs very smooth when the power transmission goes from wheel to rudder but not the other way round (eg like a worm gear...).

If the linear drive turns the rudder by moving the quadrant I thought that there might be a lot of friction until the steering wheel gets turned by the ultraflex cables.  Is it true that the linear drive also turns the steering wheel when working - I assume yes?

This is not a question how the Autopilot works but how the Amel Steering works

thx, herbert