Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Re: Steering Failure on 1992 SM72 "Aloha"

Patrick McAneny

Herbert, Yes the linear drive moves all the components connected to the steering system. I am not an engineer , but I suspect it all comes down to leverage imposed from the helm is greater than what you impose from the rudder. As to wear ,it would be the same ,as when employing the rotary ,all the same parts are moving. I suppose if you took the chain off the rotary drive ,you could save that from moving , but the wear is minimum and would not be a good idea. 
Pat
SM#123

-----Original Message-----
To: amelyachtowners
Sent: Tue, Jul 17, 2018 10:51 am
Subject: Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Re: Steering Failure on 1992 SM72 "Aloha"

Hi Bill, I think I could not express myself very clear, try to say it again, sorry for my English: 

when the rudder is moved by the rotary drive (or by the steering wheel) it moves very smooth, you can turn it with the "little finger".  If I try to move the rudder (on the hard) by pushing or pulling it I need quite a lot of power until it moves (and of course the steering wheel turns also). So I thought, that the system is designed in a way that it runs very smooth when the power transmission goes from wheel to rudder but not the other way round (eg like a worm gear...).

If the linear drive turns the rudder by moving the quadrant I thought that there might be a lot of friction until the steering wheel gets turned by the ultraflex cables.  Is it true that the linear drive also turns the steering wheel when working - I assume yes?

This is not a question ho w the Autopilot works but how the Amel Steering works

thx, herbert

Join main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.