Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Steering Failure on 1992 SM72 "Aloha"

Stephen Davis

Thanks again Pat.

Steve

On Wed, Jul 18, 2018 at 8:26 AM Patrick Mcaneny sailw32@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Steve, I mailed the template today and added a few more pis into the Shenanigans photo file, there were more but too blurry to add. If you have any questions or want pics of anything in particular ,let me know.

Thanks,
Pat
SM Shenanigans

-----Original Message-----
From: Stephen Davis flyboyscd@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...>
To: amelyachtowners <amelyachtowners@...>
Sent: Tue, Jul 17, 2018 3:09 pm
Subject: Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Steering Failure on 1992 SM72 "Aloha"

Thanks for going to all the hassle to get this info to me. I just got an answer from Maude this morning, they have the cables, and I asked her to ship them ASAP. In case you ever decide to change your cables, they are 335 euros plus shipping. After my experience, if you ever start to hear any noise or experience friction in the steering, I'd replace the racks, pinion, and cables all together.  After having taken ours apart twice, and still one to go, it is not hard once you have solved a few mysteries.

If you guys ever decide on a Hawaii vacation while we are still here, you would be welcome to stay on our boat which we keep in a very nice resort marina on West Oahu. Liz and I stay at at my parents home most of the week, and a couple of nights a week on the boat to maintain our sanity. Both my parents are in there 90's, and are requiring about as much maintenance as our old boats do. We hope to be on our way to French Polynesia in March 2019, but will have to see how things go with my folks.

Steve

On Tue, Jul 17, 2018 at 12:41 PM Patrick Mcaneny sailw32@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Steve, I just made a template the best I could with all the bolts , it is pretty good and with the additional pics I took ,it should help. I will mail it off to you and email the pics when my wife gets home. Its been six years since the install , I remember it was a little tricky establishing where to position the motors mount. I gave a measurement in one of the pics as a starting point. The steering cables stay in the same hole in the quadrant ,just drill a hole in the extension arm directly above it . You can see that I fiber glassed in a 11/2" wood block to pack out the bulkhead as well as aft of the bulkhead to also add strength . If the arm is positioned so that the rudder is on center line and the linear drive is 1/2 way extended than I would think that should be where the motor is mounted . You need to make sure you have complete travel of course. I can't remember how I determined the motor mount position, it took a little experimenting. If the rudder is hard to starboard and the drive fully extended and you marked the mount position, and then moved the rudder hard to port with the L/D fully retracted and marked that , the correct position would be half way between the marks, I would think. Just play with it before drilling the holes for the mounting. Also sending pic of the hatch I installed shortly after buying the boat , best thing I ever did . Great amount of air ,makes a hot aft cabin cool. They should have come with a hatch and do now.
Let me know if you have any questions.
Good Luck,
Pat
SM Shenanigans