Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Shore power issue

Alexandre Uster von Baar

Good morning Dean,

First of all sorry for your mishap, but congratulation for the maintenance you did on the generator!

On my SM2K, cleaning well the raw water pump, eliminated the faster than expected destruction of the impellers:
http://www.nikimat.com/onan_water_pump_cleaning.html

Also you should look at what Perigee did, which is adding a filter which will catch the blade of the impeller.
I was going to installed a “Y” Valve to catch the blades, but I think Perigee system is far better.

Regarding the change over, yes it worked as expected (over riding the shore power), but I don’t know why it got stuck…
I would try shutting down all 220 volt system to see if it switch back.
I think it is the following on the SM2K, and I would suspect it is similar looking on the 54, but could be wrong:
http://www.nikimat.com/galvanic_isolator_part_2.html
6th picture, the box on the left where the
7, 8, 9, 10th pictures where it says “Quai” and “Onduleur”

Good luck and keep us posted of your finding.

Sincerely, Alexandre

Subject: [Amel Yacht Owners] Shore power issue
To: amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com
Date: Thursday, July 19, 2018, 6:41 AM

Hi,Today’s job was to
replace the impeller in my generator.  It was shredded, so
I opened up the heat exchanger to clean it too, it was
gunged up badly, so after cleaning all that I had a look at
the exhaust elbow too, and cleaned that out as well as the
muffler. Great. Put everything back together, and started
the genny to test.  Generator worked fine but ...
I forgot when starting the genny we were
still running some things on shore power.  The genny seemed
to override shore power (as it should I believe), however,
on shutting down the generator, the shore power no longer
works.I’ve checked the dock supply and the stern
breaker - both good. But I get no light on the 240v
panel.
I’m thinking the
changeover switch has somehow stuck, but why, where is it,
how to reset it ?Or have I smoked the changeover
switch by firing up the genny while shore power is
running?So many questions!
Thoughts ?
Many thanksDeanSY
StellaAMEL 54 #154