Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] My batteries are dying.

Mark Erdos

Steve,

To start, I think you should turn off the battery charger and let the batteries rest for a couple of hours with no load. Turn off the big red switches at the battery box. Then, take a voltage meter and check the voltage of the bank. If you get 25.6 vdc, there is nothing wrong with your batteries and the problem lies with your battery monitor.

Also, I suggest you invest in a battery tester: https://www.amazon.com/Clore-Automotive-BA7-100-1200-Electronic/dp/B0015PI7A4  It is possible you may have one bad battery that is throwing off your monitor.

Hope this helps

With best regards,

Mark

Skipper

Sailing Vessel - Cream Puff - SM2K - #275

Currently cruising - Bonaire

www.creampuff.us

Sent: Saturday, July 21, 2018 11:17 AM
To: amelyachtowners@...
Subject: [Amel Yacht Owners] My batteries are dying.

I just purchased new AGM batteries in January. They were working great for months. I kept checking the battery box of heat or smells. Everything looks great. I have a new Sterling ProChargeUltra 30a charger installed. When I replaced the batteries, I set the charger to use the AGM profile. The charger seems to be working fine. When I power it up, it'll read 30a for a while and then float down to about 3-4 amps and eventually I get the float light. For months, I have been checking the original Magnetronic DCC 4000 battery meter to monitor charge. It was telling me the batteries are at 100% and the Ah were close to 400. 

Then, about a month ago, the percentage of charge and the Ah began to read lower. I would check the charger and it would say that it's in float, but the percentage on the meter was dropping every day. 70%, 60%, 50%. My charger has been plugged into the dock for 5 days and the meter reads 40% and the charger is in float. The voltage reads 25.95v. 

Should I panic? Am I doing something wrong? Is it possible that the engine alternator has been overcharging my AGMs? Any advice?

Steve Bode

Sailing Vessel Intention

Amel Super Maramu 1994 #117

Facebook.com/svIntention

+1 415-710-6659

Join main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.