Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Re: Freshwater Pump - cycles rapidly

Hi Dean,

Had this problem recently.  In my case, it was a burst line in the engine bay.

The pump also failed shortly thereafter and was replaced by a constant pressure Marco 12E.  This is an awesome pump giving 3 bars pressure and negates the installation of an accumulator. I can now wash my decks with fresh water :-)

Jean-Pierre Germain
SY Eleuthera, SM007, Raiatea, Society Islands.

On 23 Jul 2018, at 07:39, trifin@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Hi folks,

While on the subject of freshwater pumps, we had an issue recently whereby our pump rapidly cycled on-off every time a tap was opened.  This is symptomatic of a discharged (or broken) accumulator.

If the accumulator is simply discharged then it can be recharged with a bicycle pump or similar via the Schrader? valve at the forward facing end of the tank.  It’s under a plastic cap which can be unscrewed.

The process I used was to turn off the pump at the board, then drain a tap slowly until the pressure on the gauge at the pump just approaches zero. Then use the bicycle pump to pressurise the accumulator up to the desired working pressure, in my case around 1.5 - 2.0Bar.  Turn on the pump at the board and it should go back to a normal cycle again.

If you can’t pressurise the accumulator then it may need replacing. If it returns back to rapid cycling quickly, then maybe it has a leak. Not sure if it can be serviced.

Cheers
Dean

SY Stella
Amel 54#154