Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Re: Freshwater Pump - cycles rapidly

MARCO pumps in the EU and in the US is an Amel School preferred replacement for OEM pumps is an Amel SM and 54. Amel School clients enjoy a 20% discount on MARCO pumps when ordered directly from MARCO or their US distributor MATE-USA.

I like the MARCO and their pumps. Sadly they do not have a replacement for the MARINA ZZ bilge pump, but they have replacements for all of the other pumps.

Cycling on/off when the tap is turned on/off is almost always a defective bladder inside the accumulator. Amel did have stock of bladders for the Amel 54 accumulator.

Best,

CW Bill Rouse
Admiral, Texas Navy
Commander Emeritus

Amel School  http://www.amelschool.com
720 Winnie St
Galveston Island, TX 77550

+1(832) 380-4970

Any opinions and conclusions expressed in this message are solely those of the author and should not be construed as representing the opinion of an expert. Manufacturers' and Expert's precautions must be taken when dealing with mechanical and/or electrical systems to ensure that you are NOT harmed, and/or the device and/or system is NOT ruined. If in doubt, do not touch any referred to mechanical and/or electrical device or system.

On Mon, Jul 23, 2018 at 12:47 PM Jean-Pierre's MacBook Air jgermain@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Hi Dean,

Had this problem recently.  In my case, it was a burst line in the engine bay.

The pump also failed shortly thereafter and was replaced by a constant pressure Marco 12E.  This is an awesome pump giving 3 bars pressure and negates the installation of an accumulator. I can now wash my decks with fresh water :-)

Jean-Pierre Germain
SY Eleuthera, SM007, Raiatea, Society Islands.

On 23 Jul 2018, at 07:39, trifin@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Hi folks,

While on the subject of freshwater pumps, we had an issue recently whereby our pump rapidly cycled on-off every time a tap was opened.  This is symptomatic of a discharged (or broken) accumulator.

If the accumulator is simply discharged then it can be recharged with a bicycle pump or similar via the Schrader? valve at the forward facing end of the tank.  It’s under a plastic cap which can be unscrewed.

The process I used was to turn off the pump at the board, then drain a tap slowly until the pressure on the gauge at the pump just approaches zero. Then use the bicycle pump to pressurise the accumulator up to the desired working pressure, in my case around 1.5 - 2..0Bar.  Turn on the pump at the board and it should go back to a normal cycle again.

If you can’t pressurise the accumulator then it may need replacing. If it returns back to rapid cycling quickly, then maybe it has a leak. Not sure if it can be serviced.

Cheers
Dean

SY Stella
Amel 54#154