Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] ZF25 Transmission Dipstick / Fluid Level

hanspeter baettig

Alexandre
pls don't critic ZF!
Do you know the company?
How many empoyees work in the US?
ZF , Zepelin Fabric in Friedriechshafen, Germany, build it
its the biggest gear and auto supplier in the word; in gear business.
In US about 15000 us workers get the salary from ZF.
please in the future think about that!
thank you
Hanspeter
Tamango 2
SM16
Lad Palmas

Von meinem iPhone gesendet

Am 24.07.2018 um 12:44 schrieb Alexandre Uster von Baar uster@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...>:

Thanks so much for the info, which is critical.

That is absolutely crazy a company such as ZF could make such mistake and not (really) address it for so many years…
All manufacturers should have been warn about that with the proper dipstick sent…

Alexandre

Subject: [Amel Yacht Owners] ZF25 Transmission Dipstick / Fluid Level
To: amelyachtowners@...
Date: Tuesday, July 24, 2018, 6:38 AM

IMPORTANT NOTICE
To all Amel Owners,
I have recently had a failure event with
my ZF25 gearbox. You can read about it further in Topic
#41215 on this forum.  In that failure event, the dipstick
for my ZF25 was damaged, and so I needed some means of
checking fluid level until a new dipstick was
delivered.
I then embarked on
a very confusing 2 week journey of trying to determine
independently where the correct fluid level should be in a
ZF25 gearbox without reference to a dipstick. The results of
this are very significant for Amel owners with ZF25
gearboxes.
Please note the
following:
1. ZF Marine have
informed me that ALL user manuals, parts lists, service
manuals, brochures, marketing specs, website data etc for
the ZF25 gearbox which state that the fluid capacity of the
gearbox is 2.0Litres, are all incorrect.
2. The correct fluid level for the ZF25
gearbox is 3.0L, but this figure only appears in the
original installation drawing of the ZF25 (in Italian),
which ZF sent to me and I will post on the forum files
archive.
3. Some owners
will already suspect that it is really a 3L box because they
will add 2.0L as specified in the manual, and then wonder
why they needed to add another full litre to bring it up to
the top of their dipstick. These owners have a
"short" dipstick and can rest easy.
4. However, some owners will add 2.0l
and find that its already close to the full mark on their
dipstick.  If you are one of those owners then this message
is addressed to you.
5. I know
that some Amel 54 models have been supplied with an
incorrect dipstick.  This dipstick is too long and reads
"full" when 2 litres of fluid is present in the
gearbox. These boats have been operating one litre short of
fluid, which equates to a fluid level which is about 20mm
too low.
7. I do not know who
made the change of dipstick in the production process of
these boats, but I can guess why they made the change, that
is to try and match the disptick to the 2litre capacity
widely published by ZF.
I urge
all owners to check your dipstick against the following
information:
If you have a
dipstick with part numbers
3312-301-028 or 3312-201-002
then you have the wrong dipstick and
your ZF25 is at risk of damage due to low fluid
level.
If you have a dipstick
with part numbers
3311-301-003 or 3311-201-001
then you have the correct dipstick and
you will have the correct 3.0l of fluid in your
gearbox.
If you have already
experienced the failure and have replaced your gearbox with
a new one from ZF, then you will most likely have the
correct dipstick.
Finally,
as an absolute measure, the correct fluid level is between
84.5mm and 96.5mm from the mating face of the dipstick
hole.
I do not know if this
problem ever affected SM production, but I do know that the
documentation error from ZF was present in 2002.
I am collating a private list of hull
numbers which have been affected by this issue, and I would
really appreciate if owners would email me privately on the
email belowor simply post here on the
forum.
I'd like to know
your hull number and :1. whether you have the long
(incorrect) dipstick and if you've had transmission
troubles,2. If you have the short (correct) dipstick,
have you renewed your transmission (or dipstick) since the
the boat was delivered new.

Thank
youDr Dean GilliesSY STELLAAMEL 54
#154+61 411 967106trifin (at) soundthinking
(dot) com (dot) au