Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Re: ZF25 Transmission Failure

Danny and Yvonne SIMMS

Hi Bob,

Yes attitude changes everything. Glad you got some encouragement from my fun with the vetus bushes in Tonga. I have never noticed a release of pressure when I remove the dip stick. I always drain the oil through the bottom plug as I like to get all the old oil out. I would expect ZF offer the suck out the top option as some installations would make it difficult or impossible to access the drain plug.

Kind Regards

Danny

SM 299 Ocean Pearl.

On 25 July 2018 at 19:53 "rossidesigngroup@... [amelyachtowners]" <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Hi Danny,
On my ZF25 I usually check the fluid level before each departure.  Each time I do this (over the last 5 years) there is just a bit of air pressure which is released when I rotate the dip stick and break the seal of its o ring.  This slight pressure is surprising to me as i know there is a vent on top of the ZF 25 case which rattles freely.  Do other owners experience this?

Also, my manual instructs me to change the oil by suctioning it out of the filter hole.  I do know that there is a large drain nut on the bottom of the unit and wonder if other owners use that to drain fluid?

Danny, great advice on "attitude, the difference between ordeal and adventure" (although a bit difficult to accept when one is in the middle of an urgent "project").  I think about your adventure carving down truck suspension bushings in Tonga? Fiji? to replace your Vetus coupling rubber inserts--it helped me through the ordeal of replaing mine at the dock in Preveza (the parts were available to me however)!
Bob, SM 429 Elba