Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] newbie from germany

Steve Leeds

Hello Carsten,
I have owned a Sharki since 1990 and we have lived aboard and circumnavigated
on this yacht for 14 years. I also have experience with the Maramu,
having just sailed one from Fort Lauderdale to New York, about 1000 nautical
miles, a few weeks ago. The boats are very similar but the larger Maramu
is obviously faster and dryer. The Maramu also has a second head in the
aft cabin which is nice if you sail with a larger crew, although it takes up a
lot of room if you don't. It is also possible to sleep in the cockpit on
a Sharki. In the Sharki, the forward head/shower, anchor and forward deck
lockers and galley sink drain into the main bilge. We have installed a
small "sump box" to collect all this grey water and pump it out
directly before entering the bilge. We also have a large kitchen strainer
across the top of the sump box to collect all the hair and food particles
before they enter the sump. The strainer and sump box are easily removed
for cleaning as necessary, keeping the bilge clean.

We have also modified our aft (main) cabin by extending the bed the whole width
of the boat making it almost king size. This allows us to sleep with our
head in almost any direction, a good feature in rough seas. The bed takes
up virtually the whole aft cabin on the Sharki, so headroom is not really an
issue for me, although I can stand up in there. There is not enough
headroom in the passageway aft for me to stand up straight (although my wife
can). There is more headroom in the passageway and aft cabin in the
Maramu. Due to installed air conditioning, freezers, and holding tank (in
the forward head) on the Maramu, there seemed to be less storage space,
especially in the main saloon.

One common problem in boats of this vintage is the foam in the headliner
failing from tropical heat. It is not complicated to repair, but is very
time consuming and dirty. By this time, most will have been repaired --
some better than others!

Both the Sharki and Maramu are great cruising boats, safe, easy to sail and maintain
and good passage makers. The decision is probably a matter of cost.

Regards,
Steve Leeds
Sharki #121
Circumnavigator's Yacht Service