Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Re: resurrecting an old dessalator

greatketch@...

That looks exactly like ours, except we don’t have the green "ok" zone marked on the pressure gauge. Those are definitely the "old style" end caps.  If they haven’t gone bad yet, they will!  Ours literally crumbled in our hands when we went to change the membranes.

The conductivity sensor is that orange rubber plug in the product water line.  You can buy the assembly from Dessalator for $75, or you can replace the stainless steel pins when—not if—they corrode (3mm diameter, as I recall) for next to nothing. Ours seems to last about a year in more or less daily use.  You know it has failed when the system no longer rejects the first couple of liters of product water on startup.

If you've read through the postings here you know you can get the membranes for a fraction of the price that Dessalator charges from a number of suppliers.  All you need is to specify the diameter, length, and that you want a desalination membrane.  I think they still all come from Filmtec.

Bill Kinney
SM160, Harmonie
Annapolis, MD, USA