Von: <amelyachtowners@...> on behalf of "Bill Rouse brouse@... [amelyachtowners]" <amelyachtowners@...>
Antworten an: <amelyachtowners@...>
Datum: Freitag, 27. Juli 2018 um 17:06
An: "amelyachtowners@..." <amelyachtowners@...>
Betreff: Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] trasmission oil cooler

Ruedi,

Bowman has dealers around the world. I do not know where you are. I bought mine in-person from a dealer while in Malta.

Follow this link to find a dealer: https://www.ejbowman.co.uk/distrib/index.htm

Best,

CW Bill Rouse
Admiral, Texas Navy
Commander Emeritus

Amel School  http://www.amelschool.com
720 Winnie St
Galveston Island, TX 77550

+1(832) 380-4970

Any opinions and conclusions expressed in this message are solely those of the author and should not be construed as representing the opinion of an expert. Manufacturers' and Expert's precautions must be taken when dealing with mechanical and/or electrical systems to ensure that you are NOT harmed, and/or the device and/or system is NOT ruined. If in doubt, do not touch any referred to mechanical and/or electrical device or system.

On Fri, Jul 27, 2018 at 2:35 AM Rudolf Waldispuehl Rudolf@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Bill
Thanks a lot for giving the Bowman Part Number. Do you have also the source where to order? Or is it a common part available on different sources?
Best regards
Ruedi
WASABI A-54 #55

On 26 Jul 2018, at 16:54, Bill Rouse brouse@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Pat,

The in-line Bowman needs more attention than the cooler attached to the transmission because the openings for the seawater flow in the Bowman are very small. The entry end of the Bowman will trap particles and debris that are small enough to get through the sea-chest strainer. It is very easy to clean the Bowman of this debris. It is also very easy to ruin the Bowman by over-tightening the large hose clamps on the entry and exit rubber boots. This same hose clamp, on the entry end is what is opened to remove debris...there is more to the procedure because of the saltwater in the lines and the Bowman heat exchanger.

Da: amelyachtowners@...
Data: 24-lug-2018 13.41
A: <amelyachtowners@...>
Ogg: [Amel Yacht Owners] Re: ZF25 Transmission Failure

One reason for the transmission heating up "could be" that your transmission oil cooler is compromised.  You said the dipstick was melted and since there was no leakage of fluid, you assumed that it was still full of transmission fluid.

I had a similiar problem with my Amel SM.  The cooler developed a hole in the cooler tubes that permitted the seawater and the transmission fluid to mix.  Eventually the hole in the cooler tubes was big enough, that the suction from the engine seawater pump sucked the fluid out of the transmission.  Prior to the complete failure of the transmission, the seawater mixed with the transmission fluid and rusted the inner workings of the transmission.  So, in my case, the transmission had to be replaced.

Have you ever noticed that the engine exhaust/water leaves an oil sheen on the water?

Pull some of the fluid out of the transmission and see if it looks right, or is milky or watery.

Here's the thing, if you have to replace the transmission, be sure to replace the transmission cooler.  I'm not sure of a reasonable interval to replace them, but for $200 or so, it's good insurance.  Mine failed at about 2,000 engine hours.

Duane
Wanderer, SM#477