Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Amel Pole Rigging Lines

Gary,

I do not know the answer, but the original lines were as follows (translated from French, origin: Amel):
(Fore Guy) After blue: diameter 14mm, length 17 m to 11 m mark Tempest
(Aft Guy) Red tip: diameter 14mm, length 9.5 m to 7.35 m mark Tempest
(Down Guy) Yellow tip: diameter 14mm, length 6 m to 4.11 m mark Tempest
(Up Guy) Tan white top: diameter 10mm, length 16m Polyester mark to 12.75 m

The above mentions "Tempest" which I believe refers to a brand of polyester line which may be impossible to find. The above also tells you where to mark the lines.

I hope this helps.

Best,

CW Bill Rouse
Admiral, Texas Navy
Commander Emeritus

Amel School  http://www.amelschool.com
720 Winnie St
Galveston Island, TX 77550

+1(832) 380-4970

Any opinions and conclusions expressed in this message are solely those of the author and should not be construed as representing the opinion of an expert. Manufacturers' and Expert's precautions must be taken when dealing with mechanical and/or electrical systems to ensure that you are NOT harmed, and/or the device and/or system is NOT ruined. If in doubt, do not touch any referred to mechanical and/or electrical device or system.

On Sat, Jul 28, 2018 at 4:39 AM gary@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Well .. I made a big and expensive mistake when looking for some lengths of line last week.  I couldn't back out of it because even though I said "StaySet" I touched "Dyneema" and that's what they cut for me.

I think I know the answer already, but does anyone have an opinion (well .. I know that answer too :) ) on whether safety would be compromised if the Amel Poles were rigged with a non-stretching line?  I'm debating it as it seems the Poles would need some wiggle room to shift stresses, but conversely the sails themselves do a lot of shock absorption.

At any rate, I'm considering rigging the poles with 8mm Dyneema since I have a lot of it now (and it's in pretty colors) and since the original braided lines are getting pretty old.  Thoughts?

Gary W.
SM #209, "Adagio"
Malta